10 Twitter Musts – Are you doing these things?
Twitter has opened up the world to so many things socially! I love the fun and encouraging interaction there.
If you are a blogger (like me) it can really expand your reach. People from all over the world can see and be encouraged by what you’ve written. Give them a reason to check you out.
I get questions all the time about what are some things a newbie (or someone refreshing their account) to Twitter should do. Here are my top 10 suggestions.
- Lose the Egg – If you just signed up for Twitter a day or 2 ago and your profile picture is an egg, then ok. Don’t take too long updating it. It is a turn off for many people. If you need help with updating this, TWEET ME! I will gladly help you!
- Fill in your Bio – You don’t have to give personal info like where you are from or what you do, but do put something there. Example: “Twitter loving, blog writing, people encourager, coffee drinking human bean.” (See what I did there? Sure you do)
- Make sure you have the URL to your blog available! This is a must. I cannot tell you how many times I was surprised to find a fellow tweeter had a blog. Their blog url was not listed and I happened to see it in a passing tweet. Stop reading this right now and go do that. (Don’t forget to come back here an finish reading)
- To Follow or not to Follow – This is simple. If you like someone, follow them. If they don’t follow back… oh well, their loss. Will Oprah follow you back? Not likely but if you like her tweets follow her anyway. Don’t stress over this. Worry steals your joy! More on that here.
- To Schedule tweets or not – this is the online version of Mommy Wars to me. I’ll clear this up for you – do what you need to do. *nods* YES it IS that simple. Do make sure you come back and reply/interact if you do schedule your tweets.
- Lists – USE them. Have several of them. Have one that is for the famous that will never follow you back. You can list them and not “follow” them and still see their tweets. Have one for those tweeters you connect with. Have one for those Charities that you love and adore (like Spreading Joy) have one for your Travel Bucket List. This takes your giant twitterverse and makes it smaller and more manageable. Here are my lists. Most of these amazing people will follow you back, so go ahead and follow if you feel a connection.
- Header – Use this. If you are a blogger it’s very helpful, grab your website header and make it work for you. If you are not, then find an inspirational picture and put it there.
- Hashtags – Find one and use it. Search on it and strike up a conversation with someone using it. It’s a great way to connect. I use #nuggetsofJOY and of course #spreadingJOY and if you are making a difference at any time for anyone – I would be honored if you tagged it with #spreadingJOY
- Use Photos – Photos speak a 1000 words don’t they? It’s true. I try to use them as often as I can.
- Say thank you – As a happy little joy spreader, I try to do this often but sometimes there just isn’t enough time to thank everyone for their Retweets. As often as you can, thank someone for taking the time to share your tweet with their twitterverse.
FREEBIE: Pin a tweet – it could be to your book, blog, your favorite recipe, something. Pin it. If you are not sure how to do that, tweet me. I will help you!
There you have it! 10 Practical ways to get the most out of Twitter. What would you add? How are you using twitter?
Have questions? Tweet me! Seriously!
I will take the time to help you. I don’t mind at all.
This is a sponsored post. As part of an awesome techy group of Ambassadors for Verizon that LOVE Twitter and I sometimes receive products to review. I’m not required to give a positive review. All opinions, joyful or not are completely my own. Each Friday at 3pm EST we discuss all things techy! Lots of great info and ALWAYS great prizes. Check out the Live #VZWBuzz Chat each Friday!
© 2016, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.