10 Ways to have more JOY in Each Day
Everyone wants more joy don’t we? We do. I mean seriously, who doesn’t? In a day and age where everything coming at you is negative, horrific and downright depressing, it seems everyone is looking to add things that will bring joy to their world.
I’m with you! I get it! As someone who struggles with depression I understand the desire for more JOY.
So, what can we average, ordinary people do to fill our day with more joy?
Here are 10 things that will bring joy to your world – in random order because I’m a random kind of gal.
- Spread Joy Daily – I am a living testament that if you are making a difference for others your heart will absolutely be flooded with joy. F L O O D E D! Seriously, get yourself in the habit of doing one thing for someone else each day. Do not expect anything back from them. No…don’t do it. Not even a thank you. Make a difference because you can.
- Focus on the Positive Things – There is a saying that goes something like change your thinking and you change your world. Positive thinking will not erase the bad memories or keep bad things from happening, but it will make your day much better and fill it with joy. There is joy in each day. It’s always waiting for you to discover it. Let me challenge you to write one joyful thing each day on your Facebook wall or your twitter feed. Just one.
- Be Thankful – Gratitude is so powerful. Say thank you often and mean it. We all tend to think of the large things we are thankful for like family, home, cars, jobs etc but what about those daily little things that have such a huge impact on our hearts? How about the sticky note from a co-worker? What about being thankful for the easier commute when school is out? What about being thankful for all green lights? What little things fill up your world with great joy? Do you keep Gratitude Journals
- Do not compare – There is a popular quote – Comparison is the thief of joy and it’s so true. When you compare what you have to what others have you are allowing what you do not have to steal your joy. Our children grew up in a school that had a lot of wealthy families. We were not one of them. I know our kids would have loved to have had homes like their friends. Their homes were gorgeous. I told them then, (and still believe it now) I wouldn’t trade their beautiful home for the love in our home for anything. Nothing. We have never had much by way of material things but a home of great love and wonderful memories is worth so much more than a huge house.
- Do not waste time with worry – If you can change it, do. If you can’t move on. Worry literally steals your joy and your health. It’s not worth it. Don’t do it. (See what I did there? Didn’t waste a lot of time on worry. )
- Look for the good in people – There is video after video of people doing good things for others. I love these. There are also videos of people giving money to homeless people and then filming them wondering what they would do with the money. Let me say right here – this is wrong. If you help someone, do so without attaching strings. Don’t judge what they do with the gift you give them. If you think they will spend it on something you don’t approve of, give them a blessing bag or something other than money. There is bad in all of us and it’s easy to see it. There is GOOD in everyone – look for it.
- Be kind to yourself – We are so down on ourselves. We didn’t lose the weight we wanted, we didn’t exercise 5 out of 7 days, we didn’t…. blah blah blah. I could go on and on and on. We are kinder to complete strangers than we are to ourselves sometimes. Forgive yourself and move on. Love yourself, be kind to yourself because you are amazing and you matter. Here is an article about being kind to you.
- Don’t wait on happiness – Happiness comes from those things happening around you. Be happy now. Don’t wait until you have a new car, money in the bank, new boyfriend. Don’t wait to be happy until you have the new job or live beside the ocean. Be happy right now. Celebrate the life you have right now. Will I be extremely happy when I live beside the ocean? Well, yes I will be but until then I’m going to enjoy every single day I can.
- Experience New Things – Visit a local small town near you. Find a trail you’ve never walked. Check out a new restaurant. Plan out new things to experience. You plan to pay your bills, you plan doctor visits, plan to experience new things! Where do you want to go? What local restaurant is in your area that you’ve never eaten in?
- Surround yourself with amazing people – You lay down with the dogs you’ll get fleas…right? Well, surrounding yourself with amazing people will help to fill your day with joy. Don’t follow negative people on Social Media, don’t join groups that bash people or dwell on the negative. Make time to physically get together with these great people too. Only being connected via Social Media can be a bit of a downer, so get together over coffee or dinner. It doesn’t have to be expensive.
How about you? How do you bring more Joy to your day?
I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or share with me on Twitter using the hashtag #spreadingJOY
© 2016 – 2020, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.