Do you realize how much 10,000 steps really are? I mean seriously… unless you are walking on purpose, the normal person may not even do half that in a day. I don’t want to depress you but studies show that most of us only get in about 3,000 a day.
Everywhere I go I see people with FitBits and step trackers. It can really be an eye opener if you’ve never used one.
So how does the everyday average person get in their 10k or even 12k steps a day? Here are a few suggestions:
- Park as far away from the entrance as possible
- Walk on your 15 minute breaks at work
- Take an evening stroll with your bestie or spouse
- Walk down every aisle at the grocery store
- Walk while you are on the phone (don’t just stand still)
- Take the stairs when possible
- Find a local trail and enjoy the outdoors
- Walk at the mall if the weather is bad
- Take time to clean up your street
- Walk beside of the ocean *my personal favorite
- Play Tennis
- Walk your cart back to the front of the store
- Walk around the field while your child is at practice
- Set an alarm and get away from your desk on purpose every few hours
- Watching your favorite TV show? Walk during the commercial
- Explore your city. Walk downtown (or uptown)
- Don’t man handle those bags of groceries. Carry in one bag at a time
- Use the bathroom that is the farthest away
- Stop using the drive thru and walk in to place and pick up your order
- Eat lunch outdoors and walk after you’ve finished eating
- Walk your dog a few times a day
Are you stuck at the 3,000-5,000 steps range? Set a goal to add in 300-500 steps a day.
How do you get in those extra steps? Do you use a FitBit to track them? Can’t afford a fitbit? Use your smart phone and download the My Fitness App and it will track your steps for you.
Have an iphone? Then you are already tracking your steps with this built in app. Go ahead…click it!
Want to purchase a FitBit? Avoid the frustrating lines and head over to your local Verizon Store and grab one there or shop online at www.verizonwireless.com
**I’m an Ambassador for Verizon Wireless and sometimes receive products to review in exchange for an honest opinion. All opinions are my own. JOYn the Verizon Team each Friday at 3pm EST on Twitter for our #VZWBuzz Chat. It’s the hottest Twitter Party ever! Always great techy prizes!
© 2016, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.