So many things these days are absolutely not real. From every commercial you see, to the magazine advertisements those things are touched up, sprayed up and changed so much, the original is nearly impossible to find.
We are so filtered (yes…I said we) that we forget what real beauty is like; real kindness is mistaken for flirting and real honest to goodness upright character is a rarity these days.
Be real! Enjoy the real things and make a real difference.
Let’s look at a few real things:
Real Problems: Never think you are alone in your problems, you positively are not. I’m tackling this one first because I know problems are real and I know bad things happen to good people and no one that works with or volunteers with Spreading Joy is free of Real Problems.
- Homeless – this just isn’t about the beggar on the street anymore. Homelessness is often the single mom who struggles to make ends meet forcing her and her children to sleep in a car.
- Loss of homes and vehicles – talk about a horrible blow. This is an awful thing and too many good people are affected by the realities of this.
- Abuse – physical and emotional are both real and horrid. You can get help; you do not need to live this way. Please choose to step out even though times may get tough
- Grief and loss – the very first year after losing someone close to you is such a difficult time. Even the first few years. There is no right way to grieve, but keeping your hurt and loss bottled up will turn into an explosion. Don’t know what to do to help someone who is grieving, here are a few ideas for you.
- Depression and mental health issues – This is real and it’s an issue, especially in the Christian community because so many hide it. Feeling ashamed because if they were really focusing on Christ, their depression would go away…right? Wrong. Again, don’t go it alone, seek help, and talk it out. Here are some things about depression and having more joy in your day.
- Chronic illness – some days getting out of bed is all some people can do. Don’t judge or belittle them. Pray for them and encourage them. This is real and these individual need real encouragement.
These things are why you need to be KIND every single day. You do not know who is facing what problem and the real heartache they are facing.
- Daily Blessings – yes, this is real. It is there! We have to fight to see it sometimes, but trust me, there is good in every day. Look for it; capture it in writing, use a joy jar or happiness journal so when the days are hard you can be reminded of the god.
- Little things – there are so many little things in our life that make life big! Count these as part of your real blessings!
- You will have real opportunities to influence the life of others. USE them. Don’t let them slip by you! You never know when a kind word or kind deed will change someone’s life.
- An army of Ordinary People using their ordinary resources can and will make an extraordinary difference for Christ! We will help! Here are ideas for each day that anyone can do!
- Every opportunity matters. Stop focusing on what you can’t do and focus on what you can do! Can’t pay off thousands of dollars in layaway for people? Then purchase a coffee or meal for someone. Do not negate the effect of what you do because the dollar amount doesn’t have the amount of zero’s behind it that you desire.
- Opportunity to raise thankful and giving children. Yes…this is positively real and can be done. Let gratitude flow from you, from your heart each day and they will mimic this. Use specific things to teach them to give, to teach them gratitude. Seize this opportunity! Don’t let it pass you by.
- Opportunity to encourage others – don’t be the person that says “how are you doing” and then be put off when they say they are having a bad day or not doing so well. Don’t be that person! Be the one who hugs them and says, “I’m sorry, let me pray with you right now” or look them in the eye and say, I’m so sorry to hear that, I’ll be in prayer for you! This IS HUGE!!! Be the one to actually care when you ask how someone is doing!
- Opportunity to have a Christ Centered Home – You are in control of this. You can choose this and I hope you will. There is so much hope in Christ that even when you feel all hope is lost, saturating your heart with the Word of God will start to rebuild that hope.
Ask for help.
Give help and prayers without judgement.
Allow others to be real with you without fear.
Because I really want to know…what say ye?
Let’s get real on these and other topics in the comments below.
© 2017, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.