Hungry for God by Margaret Feinberg caught my eye when I saw the caption “hearing God’s voice in the ordinary and the everyday.” I’m always looking for the beauty in the ordinary and this pierced my heart with great force. Immediately I wondered why I wasn’t looking for “God” in the ordinary. As a Christian I know HE is there. I try to always appreciate the little things, see the beauty where many people never even dream of looking, yet, I found myself wondering how I could have “not seen” it this way. Thanks to Margaret, I will forever look for God in the ordinary, as well as the beauty.
This book is amazingly easy to read. It flows like a devotional, full of wonderful truths that will help your heart to look further into the ordinary for God. Each chapter is designed to stir your appetite for more of the Lord’s word. I was able to read this book in 3 sittings. I have marked so many wonderful quotes throughout this book and know that you will too. I love the fact that there are reflection and discussion questions at the end of this book, making it easy to use in a Ladies group or other small group/Sunday School settings.
As I read this book, I found myself relating over and over to the many things she pointed out. At one point I sat in awe thinking that she had just peeked inside my heart and wrote a few lines from there.
Are YOU hungry for God? If your appetite for the Lord isn’t what it should be, I recommend you start with this book. Read a chapter, go to the back and do the reflection as a means of getting you back into the Bible.
Favorite Quotes (Some of them…as I had many)
- As I listen for God in the midst of silence and hardship, I must decide whether I’m willing to give up listening for what I want to hear and begin listening to what God is actually saying.
- No matter the darkness I might be in, God has a way of bringing me to a place where I can encounter him.
- The image of a whisper speaks to the posture of our relationship with God. Whispering is ineffective if the person we’re trying to communicate with is on the other side of the room.
- The Bible is full of faithful leaders who walk into the unknown. (This is the kind of leader I want to be…faithfully walking…even if it’s into the unknown.)
- God can use anything, including silence, to draw our hearts back to him as we learn to seek him, listen, wait and obey.
- Other professions are far more lucrative and stable; but if you’re created to serve, nothing else will do.
- Much of what God calls us to do feels impossible. We lack the courage, the time, the resources, the relationships. Yet God still speaks and asks us to obey.
Are you Hungry for God? I love the delicious little snacks for my soul that I receive throughout the day, but ONLY snacking is not going to provide growth.
Don’t just snack on God’s word….FEAST!
Normally, I give my copy of free books away, but I have to tell you….I’m keeping this one. I’ve marked it up and will be using it. BUT….. if you’d like a chance at a copy of this book, please do leave a comment as I’ll be purchasing one for ONE lucky person!!
What are your thoughts about the quotes I’ve provided?
Purchase this book Click Here
If you would prefer an audio copy of this book, she has that as well. Click Here
I would like to thank Zondervan for the complimentary copy of Hungry for God. I am not required to write a positive review.
© 2011 – 2012, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.