I love sisters and how God has blessed me with a real one that I adore and love to torment….I mean treasure. I am also blessed with brothers that I adore and I know that I can call and ask anything of them and they will come to my rescue. I’m also blessed with many, MANY brothers and sisters in Christ that simply amaze me as well! Letting brotherly love continue is a way of life for them and I’m thankful to be surrounded by some of the greatest family around.
I was given the honor of doing a devotional for our Secret Sisters group at Christmas time. Our theme was centered on Candy Canes. Candy Canes are such sweet treats all by themselves, but maybe the following devotion will help you to remember just how easy it is to….
Let brotherly love continue
- The Candy Cane looks like a staff: Let it remind you to steady your sister.
- More often than not, when I’m out with my sister, something happens and I will trip. It could be the imaginary hump in the floor, a dip in the sidewalk or even a tiny rock. There have been times that NOTHING was there to steady me and I hit the ground, looking up wondering what just happened. (yes…we both laughed and I’ll wait till you are done laughing to continue.) There are those times that it happened and something was close by that I could steady myself with and boy was I thankful. Sometimes, just being right there to provide a little security and steadiness is all it takes to help them through the day or even through the tears. Love continues.
- The Candy Cane looks like cane – Let your sister lean on you.
- We are so independent and hate to have to lean on others, but sometimes we simply can’t make it without some extra help. A cane, while such a simple thing is such a huge tool for strength. Being able to lean on our sister can take a horrible situation and make it easier. Through the trials of cancer, time of other horrid illness that seem to have no end and the pain of loss, being able to lean on others without worry is pure love. Love continues.
- The Candy Cane looks like a hook – Hang a reminder of them in front of you.
- If you know someone is going through a rough trial, hard time physically or even emotionally, set yourself some reminders. Put sticky notes on your computer, in your Bible or devotional book to remind yourself to pray for them, send them a card or even a text or email. Love continues.
- Also – With the hook – don’t get hung up on the past. Instead of letting your past define you, let it drive you. You can’t change past decisions, past actions, past mistakes but you can determine that you’ll learn from them, grow from them and use your past to help define a better future for you and those that are close to you. Love Continues.
- The Candy Cane looks like a “J” – Be Jesus to them.
- Matthew 5:16 says Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. We need to live a life of love, joy, hope and goodness knowing that all the while we are a light for Him. Others will see this light in their time of darkness and in the end, God is glorified. Don’t give a second thought to how bright you think your light for the Lord is, because even a teeny tiny flicker in the pitch black dark can been seen from a great distance. Shine for Him! Show them the JOY of the Lord is your strength! Love Continues.
- A “pair” of Candy Canes looks like heart – Show great love to your sister.
- Showing love is easy and the fact is, it will last a life time! Showing love doesn’t have to be done in some huge way, often the tiniest, purest acts of love are the greatest. Here are some easy ways to show some love. Love Continues.
One last thought – Let Brotherly love continue…. It’s not a suggestion.
We’d like to hear from you! If you have an article on this verse, please share it below in the comments so that others can easily find it and be encouraged.
Spreading Joy is as simple as sharing your thoughts on this verse, sharing the link to this article on twitter, facebook, linked in and google+.
Have fun Spreading JOY!