What are you expecting this year?
You don’t have to look far to know that many people are spending a lot of time wondering what this year will hold for us.
I don’t have a crystal ball and wouldn’t really want to know.
A new year typically draws us to reflect on the past year. I’m no different. I love a New Year, new opportunities, new adventures and new things that in my wildest dreams I would never expect. Many people do struggle to be positive when a new year rolls around. I have that issue sometimes too. I struggle with wishing I could have done more, given more and made more of an impact the previous year. I feel guilty for not doing more.
Here at Spreading Joy, we tell people (and myself as well) that Spreading Joy is doing what you can with what you have. I understand the guilt that comes with “I wish I could do more” and hate when it creeps in my heart. I have to focus on the fact that we took everything that was given to us and did what we could with it. I have to focus on the facts of the previous year while I’m waltzing into the brand new year.
I know there will be circumstances that I absolutely cannot change but there are something that I’m expecting for this upcoming New Year. (This was the encouragement I shared at our recent Christmas Joy Event.)
- Kindness – I will be kind. I will do random acts of kindness as well as acts of kindness on purpose. I will continue to spread joy daily and will share the things I do so that maybe it will inspire you to look around at the resources you have and do the same. To get the latest tips, suggestions and ideas, follow along on my Spreading Joy Journey here: http://instagram.com/spreadingjoyandlove
- Compassion – I will be compassionate. If we are honest, every single one of us needs help at one time or another. Compassion is a precious gift that many are denied.
- Positivity – I’m typically the positive one of the group. Always looking on the bright side, finding the good etc. I do struggle with depression and there are a lot of times I have to force myself to be positive. I get it. With so much of the news and Social Media channels full of negativity, I’m going to purposely find and share positive things and be positive.
- Fun – We have to work, we have to provide for our families but we need to make sure we schedule some fun! It doesn’t have to be expensive as there are so many free things every community has for people to take advantage of. Bring fun into your day on purpose. I’d love to hear the ways that YOU bring fun into your day!
- Inspiration – I will be sharing stories of others using what they love, their talents their gifts to make a difference. I have already started sharing those on the site. If you know of someone using the little things in their world to make a difference, would you please share with me? Read the previous inspiring stories here:
- Character – I want to surround myself with those that have a great character. You know things that they do when no one is really looking. I want to surround myself with this so that I can continue to grow and be a person of great character. Are you teaching your children this or do they hang out with those that belong to the mean girls/boy club? Do they stand up with the bullies? Have you asked? Have you had a discussion about bullies in their school?
- Respectful – People that respect nothing often feel they are entitled to everything. I’m looking for those that are just absolutely full of respect. Respect for their parents, the authority set above them (yes, teachers and law enforcement), respect for those around them, respect for property that doesn’t belong to them. It’s huge, it’s powerful. Surround yourself, your children and your family with those that are respectful
- Encouragement – I will be encouraging where I can be. I know life isn’t always a bed of roses. Usually it’s full of ginormous thorns, but there is still the ability to be encouraging. We can change what we can and find the good in the rest. While we are going through life’s up’s and down’s be encouraging!
- Loving – I will be loving and surround myself with those that do the same. So much hatred is flying through Social Media these days and I’m choosing to not engage with it. I’m not.
Again, there are a lot of things that will happen this year that I don’t expect. I can’t control that and will meet each one head on and fight through them.
One final Thought:
Let the best in you bring out the best in others!
— Marie Wikle (@spreadingJOY) January 8, 2017
What are you going to take control of this year? What are you expecting out of this year?
Are you going to let go of negativity? Are you going to embrace respect and those around you that are respectful?
What are you expecting? What are you teaching your children to look for and expect this year?
Some of this will take work because negativity is so abundant these days. Question is, are we willing to work at having a good year?