The Birth is a stunning drama that literally has one simple focus…. The Birth of Christ.
I had the privilege of a sneak preview via the Producer Nathan Rouse and found it nothing short of amazing.
With obvious love for what they do and the message they are presenting, the cast pours their heart into each of their roles as they focus on the one thing that is so often overlooked during the Christmas Season, The Birth.
As you listen to the actors, hear the music and see the performance, your mind will resonate with the characters as you consider their words. Me, personally – I was struck by the Inn Keeper. He saw them from a distance and knew what they wanted and the MILLION things he had going on instantly told him he didn’t have time for them. I wonder how many of us get so busy during the Christmas Season that we are just like the Inn Keeper and don’t have room for the very One we are celebrating.
This production is a refreshing reminder to focus on The Birth of Christ. It is done in a fashion that anyone, even those that are not active in a church, can enjoy.
If you are available to see The Birth, I hope that you will. Go with a group or with a special someone, regardless, you are in for a treat!
If you look at the materials on the website and decided you’d like to have the crew do a performance in your Church, please Contact them, you’ll be glad you did.
Thank you Nathan for inviting me! It was an honor and pleasure to meet you! I’m excited to see where The Birth will be headed in years to come!
THE BIRTH 2011: AT A GLANCE
- Starving Artist Productions’ SIXTH YEAR staging The Birth.
- Performing eight shows (or more if needed) over 7 days at the Duke Energy Theatre at Spirit Square in uptown Charlotte.
- Shows run December 12 – 19, 2011
- Show times, tickets and more information can be found at www.thebirth.net
- Show has been twice-nominated (2009 & 2010) for Creative Loafing’s “Theatre Event of the Year”
- “The Birth” is available for a limited number of private engagements for the holiday season
- The Birth will host its annual Celebration Event with show and concert on Saturday, 12/17.
- Check out previous reviews and stories about “The Birth” from Creative Loafing and the Charlotte Observer at www.thebirth.net/press/
- The show features both original and traditional holiday music and is based on the writings of Pulitzer Prize nominated author and theologian, Frederick Buechner.
- Source material for the monologues is from The Magnificent Defeat by Buechner.
Here’s a video of the Cast performing Shepherd’s Song
© 2011, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.