Late April, I decided I would make public my acts of joy during May. I normally do that in the “Tell Me Your Story” portion of the main Spreading Joy Corporation website and over at the facebook group page. Normally it isn’t a problem. I set a goal to do 2 acts of joy a day because I’m trying to reach my 1,000th act of joy as soon as possible and issued a challenge to everyone on Twitter to do an act of joy for someone everyday. I wanted to blog our results with the hopes that someone will come across this blog and realize they can make a difference with what they have – right where they are.
Several people stepped up to the challenge and I want to say thank you for sharing with me as well as making a difference.
So, how did we do? Well over 100 acts of joy were emailed, blogged or twittered about. Here are a few!
- Encouraged sick friend
- Helped someone get medicine that they needed
- Left encouraging comments on blog (and believe me, this is encouraging)
- Purchased Eco friendly grocery bags in an effort to become greener
- Encouraged people via Twitter (free and so easy to do)
- Sent care packages to our soldiers and wished they could send more
- Fed the homeless in their area
- Provided an entire month of giving without spending ideas
- Free Bibles and Rice were given through the Free Click Campaigns
- Cards were sent for encouragement (yes, handwritten cards)
- Helped a hurting neighbor
- Gave large tip to waitress who obviously needed help
- Emailed discouraged friend
- Helped Spreading Joy Corporation via Good Search
- Money donated to Missionaries
- Participated in Spring Forward Campaign
The bottom line, is a handful of people looked for ways to make a difference during one month and many things were accomplished. What if 200 people decided to step up to the challenge and made an effort to do ONE act of kindness a day – just one. Well, I can tell you from experience, those 200 people will be the happiest people on earth (even through trials) and by the end of the month there would be OVER 6,000 acts of joy performed which means over 6,000 people had their hearts warmed.
That alone is enough for me to keep going, keep spreading the word about doing acts of joy daily and to encourage as many people as I can along the way to make a difference with what they have, right where they are.
Thank you again to those of you who participated, who tweeted, who emailed etc. YOU have been an encouragement to me….and trust me, the Month of May was a challenge for me. (which I will post about at a later date) I didn’t not reach my personal goal of 2 acts of joy a day, but there is always June!
Scott Adams said “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” Well done on the ripple effect that you’ve created this past month – well done!
© 2009, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.