The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
After a few long weeks of chaos, busyness and not enough time with the Mr, we decided to have a date “day.”
This consisted of using some gift cards, lunch, movie, more shopping, coffee, dinner and a trip to the bookstore. Side note: No date is complete without a trip to the book store.
Not knowing what was playing, I briefly viewed the comments about The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and thought it looked like a good movie, and besides, who doesn’t like a little day dreaming? Ok – another side note – that small statement just cause a brief moment of song “I like dreaming….dreaming can make you mine…” (Does anyone else have that issue where random words and phrases will just cause them to break out in song? Surely I can’t be the only one.)
Without ever seeing previews or anything about the movie, we start out on our date. Movie time rolls around and Ben Stiller – I must tell you young man, I was completely impressed. Not to many movies resonate with me like this one did….but then again, you might be surprised to know that I’m a horror flick chick, so we are ALL thankful that horror, shoot-‘em up movies DON’T resonate with me….mostly….usually.
Again… ANYWAY…. (sorry…sorry back on track)
This is an awesome movie that simply encourages you to LIVE.
Many people have the bucket lists, but what are you doing to work on it? Are you saving some for that big trip? Are you exploring some states around you so that you can enjoy adventures in all 50 of the United States? What are you doing to reach those goals?
Here are 10 things that I took from the movie:
- Live. Simple hmm? Do something that you love doing today.
- Love. Gosh – simple too? Let those that you love know it!
- Explore – You don’t have to travel to Greenland or Iceland like Walter did, unless you want to – but explore! Every one of us have “historical” areas near us – Go…explore…have fun!
- See. Seriously – do we really see the beauty that is right around us? Walter was completely surprised by the photo on the negative. Open your Eyes!
- Think of Others – Yep, that was there too! Walter brought back a skateboard for a friend from his journey. Talk about Spreading Joy! He was thinking of others while he was on the mission to find the negative
- Inspire. You never know who you will inspire. Walter would have never been able to get into the helicopter with a drunken pilot if it weren’t for some kind words. A simple thank you inspired me to give a name to what I love doing – Spreading Joy. Inspire Others!
- About Courage. Courage comes when you need it, if you just take the first step. Step out. go ahead… you’ll be just fine.
- About Fear. If you think you are the only one that battles this beast – you’d be dead wrong. We are all fearful. Be Bold!
- About Assumptions. Don’t assume. What you think you know or just saw, might not be what the actual truth of the situation is. Don’t assume.
- About The Moment. Sometimes we need to just “enjoy” the moment. Don’t capture it with a photo, don’t record it – just ENJOY it.
Those were just a few things. You may have seen different things and if you did, I hope you’ll share. Go see the movie or rent it when it comes out.
“Beautiful things don’t seek attention”
(My memory is horrible, I need to watch it again and add some of my favorite quotes to this page. Will likely do that – what were yours?)
Disclaimer: this is in NO way a Movie review. Ben Stiller didn’t ask that I do this, and I haven’t received any kind of compensation for this article on his movie. This is just a summary of a movie I saw with the Mr. on a random date and the things that I took from the movie. You are free to leave your comments about the movie – good or bad, just keep it nice. Everyone sees things differently. I’d like to see how YOU see things. Did I miss something?
What did you see? What was your favorite quote/quotes?
JOYn the conversation. Do you have an actual review to this movie? You can feel free to leave the link in the comments below.
Don’t miss a single encouraging article!
Subscribe to Spreading Joy by Email:
© 2014, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.