Everyone has a secret…
I love Post Secrets. Like the secrets we hide in our hearts, there are good ones, bad ones and everything in between. If you have never heard of Post Secrets, this site is a collection of post cards that people have mailed in, releasing their secrets. This site is updated with new secrets weekly. Many of them make me smile – as not all secrets are bad. Then there are those that make me think or wonder. But then you have some that just break your heart.
Tonight, one secret did just that, broke my heart.
When I read the secret above, I wanted to reach out and wrap my arms around this person and whisper to their heart:
YOU are not useless…YOU matter
There are so many people that struggle with this. One thing I’ve noticed with nearly everyone of them is that they truly matter a lot. The trouble is that the people they are around are not the squishy hugs, you matter to me kind of emotional people. If they were, the person who sent in this secret and those that feel this way would know beyond a doubt that they truly do matter. Some people simply struggle with this just because their heart is fighting a battle that many of us can’t even begin to imagine.
What can we learn from this secret?
- The people we are around MATTER and need to know it! Tell them. Do not assume they know it.
- Everyone wants and needs to matter. We all do. We need to make a difference. Why else do little toddlers hand little yellow “weeds” to us and we validate that?
- Many feel useless needlessly. It doesn’t cost us a single cent to hug someone important to us and tell them that they matter.
- Something so small, is actually HUGE in our lives. Amazing how far a little affirmation goes isn’t it?
- The negative things we hear stay with us far longer than the positive. Keep reinforcing the positive.
- The old rhyme we all said as a child is a lie – Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Words not only hurt us, but often times break us. Choose them wisely.
- Put it in writing! That card or letter letting someone know that they made a difference in you will likely be read and re-read time and time again.
- When you see someone or leave someone give those big squishy hugs! They matter too. Don’t be in a hurry to let go quickly. Enjoy the moment!
- When our hearts are screaming in pain, our minds simply do not remember the difference that we’ve made. Keep pictures or something that will jog our memory.
- If you make someone smile….at anytime EVER – you are NOT useless. Period! Times are tough, things are hard – smiles are priceless.
- Fearlessly be YOURSELF! We need you to be you – not who you think we want you to be. Y O U – because you are amazing!
- Look around. Have you told those that matter to you, that they matter?
- Take stock in your own heart….do you KNOW that you matter and are NOT useless? YOU matter!
- What would you tell someone that feels like they are useless. Please encourage others and share your thoughts in the comments below.
© 2011, Spreading Joy. All rights reserved.